Fire guts city aircon bus

Passengers ran as a bus burst into flames on Ngam Wong Wan Road in Nonthaburi on Monday night.

Fire guts city aircon bus
Flames engulf the No.552 bus in front of a shopping mall on Ngam Wong Wan Road in Nonthaburi on Mondaynight. (Capture from a clip by @fm91trafficpro twitter)

Passengers ran as a bus burst into flames on Ngam Wong Wan Road in Nonthaburi on Monday night.

The bus caught fire near Rangsit-Victory Monument in front of Pantip Plaza mall around 8.30pm.

It took firefighters about 30 minutes to bring the blaze under control. By then, the bus was gutted. Nine natural gas fuel tanks were on the roof of the bus.

One woman passenger was injured, receiving burns on her left arm.

The fire also damaged about 50 metres of adjacent electric and communication wires.

The bus driver said that as he approached the bus stop in front of the shopping mall he heard a loud bang coming from near the rear right wheel. He stopped and told passengers to leave the vehicle. He saw that a fire had started.

He used a fire extinguisher on the flames, but they spread quickly.

There were about 30 passengers on the bus at the time.

The bus was fuelled by compressed natural gas, sold as NGV.

The Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA)  said on Tuesday an inspection of the bus found that a brake system failure caused the brakes to stick and overheat.